If I could eat one food for the rest of my life, it would probably be soup. Or sandwiches. Or frozen yogurt. But let’s stick with soup for now. It’s so versatile. There are tons of options: tortilla, chicken noodle, corn chowder, minestrone, lentil, mushroom barley, split pea, tomato basil, miso. I could go on and on. But basically, one of my favorite soups is black bean. So when I was at Trader Joes and saw this soup, I jumped right on it.
The soup was good but it lacked that oomph. (Pacific sells some and it’s basically the same thing.) So in order to spice it up a bit, I added some veggies, cumin, chipotle, and brown rice. The outcome: black bean soup awesomeness.
Spicy Black Bean Veggie Soup
- 1Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 of a bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4tsp minced garlic
- 1 can (15oz) canned tomatoes
- I box (32oz) boxed black bean soup
- 1 can (15oz) beans (I used garbanzo beans)
- 1c frozen corn
- 1 chipotle (from a can), chopped
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 2c brown rice/any grain
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Now add the onions, zucchini, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic. Mix every once in awhile and let cook for 5-10 minutes, until tender.
- Decrease the heat to low and add the canned tomatoes. Now add the entire box of soup.
- Add the beans, corn, chipotle, and cumin, and. Mix and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the brown rice and simmer a couple more minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and top with whatever toppings you enjoy!
What’s your favorite kind of soup?