I’m pretty sure 75% of the recipes I’ve shared are pancakes and 95% are carb related. But cards are delicious, so your argument is invalid.
But back to the goods. My first time in Portland, I went to Byways Cafe and they had the best blue cornmeal pancakes. The best. Once again, your argument is invalid. I’ve been meaning to recreate the recipe for so long but have never gotten around to it. But since I’m on my pancake kick, I decided to change it up and go with a savory version. I had some avocados, salsa, a lone egg, and a hankering for pancakes (shocker). Plus it’s blue…and blue is the best color. You guessed it: your argument is invalid.
Savory Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
- 1/2c blue cornmeal (regular cornmeal works too)
- 2Tbsp wheat bran (more cornmeal works)
- 1/8tsp salt
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1Tbsp ground flax seeds + 3Tbsp warm water)
- 1/2c milk
- sweetener (I used 7 drops of stevia but agave, maple syrup, and honey would work)
- toppings: If you want it to be savory, I recommend a fried egg, salsa, and/or avocado. But if you want a sweeter version, maple syrup works too! That’s what I used at Byways and it was uhhmazing.
- Make the flax egg and let sit until it forms a gel. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, bran, salt, and baking powder.
- Now add the flax egg, milk, and sweetener.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and once hot enough, pour the batter into the pan.
- When you see bubbles form in the batter, flip.
- Cook for about a minute on the other side.
- Stack the pancakes up and layer with toppings!
What’s your favorite color?