I did a post awhile ago titled You Know You’re In College When and I had a lot of fun with it. So I figured I would do it again. This time though, it’s all about Orange County. Or “the OC” if you feel more comfortable with that. But just don’t say that around somebody you meet from Orange County. They will walk away. Orange County…it’s my home. As much as I dislike the people, I’ve lived there for 18 years so I can’t help but emotionally love it. After college though, I have zero desire to go back. Don’t get me wrong. I had an amazing childhood and I wouldn’t change a thing. But Orange County isn’t for me.
So, in honor of me flying home, here are some ways you know you are from Orange County…
1. You know you’re from Orange County when you consider cold to be anything below 65 degrees. The weather forecast is for the low 60’s?? Better pull out my parka (which is just a sweatshirt with a hood). Oh, and a slight drizzle? Gotta wear my rain boots which have been collecting dust in the closet. I was one of those people who would look out the window, see no sunshine, and put on layers. But now that I am actually somewhere (a little bit) colder, I have learned what weather actually is.
2. You know you’re from Orange County when the cars in the student parking lot are nicer than the ones in the teacher parking lot. I hate this. Pull into the student parking lot and it was like a car show. And if you didn’t have a nice car? You better have a really big house with some really good parties.
3. You know you’re from Orange County when people ask you if you know the people from the show, Laguna Beach. My answer: No, thank goodness. I’m sure they were nice people and all but they just make Orange County have an even worse reputation. Laguna Beach is great. Great beaches and shops. But get down to the people, and they’re just like everyone else in that area: spoiled.
4. You know you’re from Orange County when guys at your school wear tight pants. Why, oh why must guy wear tight pants? I mean, unless you’re a Jonas Brothers, there is no reason for you to shop in the women’s section.
5. You know you’re from Orange County when you’re defined by the beach you go to. I’m not much of a beach goer. I know I should enjoy it more because I live only 5 minutes away. But at the same time, I could do without. When somebody asks you what beach you go to, they will give you a certain look on their face. It’s as if, they can’t speak to you anymore because your beaches aren’t the same.
6. You know you’re from Orange County when every single driver is defensive. Can you say, road rage to the max? People are so determined to get to the mall, beach, or botox appointment as fast as possible that they will swerve in and out of the lanes, while talking on their phones (which is illegal in Cailfornia) and having their tiny dressed up dog in their lap.
7. You know you’re from Orange County when you consider it to be “the bubble” and anything outside of that is scary. I lived in my comfortable little bubble for 18 years. Then I came to college and I am beyond happy that I moved away. There is even a website called OC Bubble. What the flip?
8. You know you’re from Orange County when 99% of the school wears Rainbows. Rainbows are sandals. No they’re not just sandals. They’re the best sandals ever created. The outlet is in Orange County so there are some good deals. Rain or shine, people will be wearing these sandals. I even think that they’re glued onto some people’s feet…
Something Old. I’m the one on the left. Wasn’t I the cutest?? 😉
Emerald Lake, Canada. When my family and I went on a cruise to Alaska this past summer, we spent a day to go into Canada. Our destination: Emerald Lake.
Your turn: You know you’re from (insert hometown) when…