College is amazing, to be quite honest. You will have your ups and downs with homesickness and what-not, but if you find the right group of friends, it will be the best time of your life! I have already learned so much (in and out of the classroom). But that would be boring if I talked about what I’ve learned in the classroom so here is what I have learned outside of the books 🙂
1) Take advantage of naps. I used to hate naps. Once I was up, I was up and there was no going back until 10 or 11 at night. It all changes in college. In between classes, I’m sleeping. While my laundry is going, I’m sleeping. While Jersey Shore is on, I’m NOT sleeping. (I’m actually fist pumping instead). Anyway, we all know sleep is important. By the time you go to bed at night, it might be 12pm or 1am. And then if you have class at 8am (like me) you are very tired when morning times rolls around. So take naps. Lots and lots of naps.
2) Skype is the best invention ever. I love my family and friends. And I miss them. Very much. 9 hours is a long way away. I’m not a fan of talking on the phone because I like to see people’s facial expressions. That’s why I love skype. I probably use it every other day to talk to my best friend. 15 min, an hour, or 5 hours. However long you skype for, at least it’s something to stay in touch with your loved ones.
3) Exercise is important, but it does not have to be your number one priority. I love to work out. And I used to have an exercise addiction. Between the two of those, I like to work out 6 days a week and have one rest day. But if something comes up with friends that it coincides with my workout plan, I go hang out with friends. I would used to pick the workout but friends are important. I could workout out any other time. But you never know how many times you can hang out with friends.
4) Comfort is key. I dressed cute for about the first week of classes. Then after that, all bets were off and I aimed for comfort. Yoga pants, running shorts, sweatshirts, slippers, and running shorts became my main wardrobe. And you know what? It’s the same for 75% of the people. There will always be that 25% that find it necessary to wear skirts, heals, and a full face of makeup at 8 in the morning.
5) Call your parents everyday – Or at least every other day. They love to hear from you and how everything is going. You will literally make their day. Plus, you’re their child! They are proud of you 🙂 Even if you only talk for 5 minutes, at least it is something. Don’t only call your parents though. Call your aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa, whoever! I also call my grandma and grandpa once a week. They love hearing from me and they always tell my parents how much they enjoyed hearing from me 🙂
There are more lessons to come! College is a learning game but once you learn it, you will love it 🙂
P.S. I am still so sore! My quads are the worst, for sure. I am trying to take it easy but just getting up from a seat feels like an olympic event!
Any lessons you have learned lately?